Friday, the ATP and the WTA Association decided to cancel all competitions for play and the seven tournaments that were to be held until the end of 2020 in China, due to a pandemic coronavirus" Covid-19".
The two associations issued two statements on their website, saying, "Based on the recent decision of the Chinese General Administration of Sports, which states that China will not organize any international sporting event in 2020 due to the Coronavirus" Covid-19 ", the tournaments scheduled in China have been canceled . "
This decision, issued after the Chinese authorities announced the cancellation of all international sports competitions for 2020, is a major blow to the yellow ball that is looking for development in the most populated country in the world. "We are very disappointed that we have not been able to hold our world-class events in China this year,"
said WTA President and CEO, Steve Simon.
"But we respect the decision taken by the (Chinese authorities) and we look forward to returning to China as soon as possible next season," he added.
For his part, the president of the "ATP" expressed his frustration at the cancellation of tournaments in China, which he considered very important for the spread of the association in Asia. "Since the beginning of the Coronavirus (Covid-19), it has always been our position to follow local decisions,"
said Andrea Gaudentzi, president of the Professional Players Association. He added, «We respect the Chinese government 's decision to do what is best for the country in the face of an unprecedented global situation». Among the events that were canceled was the Wuhan Open Championship, which was promising a strong symbolic impact in the first city in the world affected by the emerging coronavirus «Covid-19»
At the end of last year, as well as the final Masters Championships in Shenzhen.
The same decision was taken among men, in particular, to cancel the Shanghai Masters and the China Open for "men and women" in Beijing.